Thursday, September 8, 2011

the beginning of the end of the beginning (fa620)

I think I've digressed to admit that I should focus on adding to the 10 I have. I said I would in my midpoint proposal. I'm going to start 5 this week and see how the space is. If I can fit more I'll do more and then pick the top 15 for final review. I applied for a review date. That will obviously factor in.

Bao, if you don't mind, I'm not going to propose specific goals for the class. I need the space to feel out a few different things here in the beginning. I'll give you more clear notion of what I'm after as the work starts coming in.


Background:
Here are the ones that are currently in the running.
first 5 are 36"x48", the next 4 are 40"x48" (biggest that fits in my car), and the last is 46"x48".

     

I have blank boards in the following  sizes (borrowed a truck):
2 - 48”x48”
3 - 40"x48"
3 - 48”x56”



Goals for the week:
1. Start 5 biggies in the manor of last semester: do and then assess and then do again.



2. I'm also working on a "new" little series. I started them last week. The first layer is drawn with water and candle carbon. This is a technique I developed under the direction of Richard Elliott in my first DS. The second layer is ink blown around, a technique I got out of a book making class with Annie Cicale.  You may remember my early pursuits, Bao, as I was playing with it in Composition for Abstract what feels like a million years ago. The next layer will be an oil based monoprint (light yellow) and then gold oil stick. I'm basing these off of this piece that I turned in for said DS.

6"x9" candle carbon, ink, oil monoprint, oil stick on paper
This will be the background of one side of my business card, and so I'm working on a "match" for the other side.

Pile o' text

These new ones are 8.5"x11" I shot them before the printing because they are kind of lovely already. Some have candle wax and burning as well as the carbon and ink.

             




Bao's comments:
Hi, Emily:
Thank you showed the art works, you can base on there to start work the other one in big size. For the small works, I think that is also good direction, because those have sensitive feeling...
Baoping Chen

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

ds6: grizzad schizzool - the final chapter © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates